The four NAEM treatment points are as follows:
TE = Third Eye Point, between the eyebrows. This is the GV 24.5 point on the GoverningVessel.
UN = Under Nose. This point is also on the Governing Vessel at GV 26.
UL = Under Bottom Lip. This point is on the Central Vessel at CV 24.
CH = Chest. This point is also on the Central Vessel in the vicinity of CV 20, which is also above the thymus gland.
The essential NAEM protocol is as follows:
1. Think about the problem. It can be a trauma or phobia, or generalized sadness or anxiety. Try to find a particular aspect or occurrence of your problem to work on. It’s easier to cut down one tree at a time than to cut the whole forest. A specific issue with the specific negative emotion is the best target of treatment. Even if you can’t be specific at first, a round or two of tapping can often help things to shift, so that something specific bubbles to the surface.
2. Obtain a Subjective Units of Distress (SUD) rating, 0 to 10, with 0 representing an absence of negative affect and 10 indicating the highest level of distress.
3. While holding the problem in mind, tap each of the treatment points several times.
4. Observe as the SUD level dissipates and your mind clears.
5. Continue tapping for a few rounds, or until the SUD is 0-1.
6. Evaluate the remaining issue, being aware of shifts in how you are thinking and feeling. Consider tapping on a new aspect that is still bothering you.
7. Consider installing a positive belief and/or scenario by holding that outcome in mind while doing NAEM and noting changes in how strongly you feel that the outcome has become your emotional reality. Use Positive Belief Score (PBS) 0-10. Ask for help if you haven’t reached your goal.
Adapted from a protocol developed by Fred Gallo, Ph.D. Full version available from his web site http://energypsych.com/readings/negative-affect-erasing-method/
An extensive web site for the public, describing a tapping method called EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques) is available at http://www.EFTuniverse.com/